The above logo (I created) is Barbara and my new collaboration as artists-researchers-teachers, as we have just moved back to Canada and settled in Calgary, Alberta. Studio M* is a place and space for us to co-create with the Calgary Community (in particular the Beltline Neighborhoods downtown), and beyond that with anyone in the world who wishes to be in collaboration with us and wants to utilize Studio M*. Barbara has posted an initial blog ("Barbara Bickel tumblr") on this project, and the location of McHugh House (120 yrs. old) where our studio 6 space is--which I encourage you to have a look at some of the earliest stages of our creating and imagining. We're very excited about the possibilities...
As for why this is important to the Fearlessness Movement per se, I would encourage you to read the Studio M* Manifesto (version/exhibit #1.0), I have reprinted the Manifesto below (notice the particular reference to "without fear")... So, if you are interested to be a signatory of this Manifesto contact us r.michaelfisher52 [at] gmail.com and if you are traveling and want to drop by the studio to see what is going on, and if wish to join our Studio M* envisioning processes, then WE INVITE YOU to participate and help build a synergy that can make a positive difference. We look forward to hearing from you. If you are interested in doing some kind of creative/artistic Residency with us, give us an email: r.michaelfisher52 [at] gmail.com and we can talk about potentials for you using Studio M* ... that is, if you find our Manifesto in some way resonates with you and your work in the world...
Studio M* : Manifesto Exhibit #1.0 (Aug.-Sept., 2017)
WE are a research creation lab intersecting Arts, Culture & Healing
- WE are committed to an inclusive & expansive curatorial practice that stems from the Latin root curare- “to take care”
- EVERYTHING is encountering others, human & more-than-human, a tableau of unique creative collaborations
- WE commit to a Matrixial co-poetic paradigm of Artworkings in radical trust
- WE practice a co-relational Aesthetic as foundational and preceding the Ethical, while both ought to inform the shape of the Political
- WE live with the premise that EVERYTHING began without fear... imagine that!
- SPONTANEITY is the life-blood-water of play, humour, sociality, sustainability, health & ecological sanity
*M stands for “Matrixial” theory based on Bracha L. Ettinger’s art & philosophy. See, for e.g., her book The Matrixial Borderspaces published in 2005 by University of Minnesota Press. Or a good video of Ettinger with art historian Griselda Pollock, go to "Istanbul in/+ Leeds Event 3: Making with Bracha Ettinger": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqwWIr3WjxU
Studio M* is a restorative and transformational learning, teaching, and creative inquiry space for all. Co-conceived by artists-researchers-teachers Drs. Barbara Bickel and R. Michael Fisher.